Saturday, May 22, 2010

An Overdue Update!

It has been so long since I last posted on my blog. I thought about what I would write and then I'd procrastinate - so I'm finally getting on here to try out a little free-writing. Where to begin?

Between January and April 2010, I am proud to say that I participated in Boston University's Certificate in Genealogical Research program. BU is just a 45 minute drive away, and I figured since I'm so close to the premier genealogical research program in the country, and since I have such a passion for genealogy, it made complete sense to pay out the big bucks and take the course. I believe it was completely worth the cost and the time. The course spans 14 weeks every Saturday from 9am-5pm broken up into five modules, so many weekends were sacrificed - no vacations away, etc. The course is taught by well-known and reputable individuals across the U.S. The class size is small, and I have particularly appreciated the opportunity to work closely with other dedicated genealogy researchers. To meet and get to know such wonderful individuals has made the experience in the program that much richer. The knowledge and skills that I have gained through the program will help me tremendously. I'm also looking forward to June 14th when we have our recognition ceremony and receive our certificates!

In very sad news, my "Pepa" (paternal grandfather) - Frederick Wilson Goodhart, Jr. - passed away on December 8, 2009 in Gwynedd, Pennsylvania. He lived to be 91 years old. I spoke at his service about his impact on my life in terms of family history and genealogy. I'm glad that I was able to publicly thank him for his work, and I'm equally grateful that he agreed to pass along his research to me. He is certainly an inspiration.

Regarding the Goodhart family website, you may have noticed that surname and name indexes have been taken down. One thing I have learned recently is the importance of proper source citation and verifying research. I am ever thankful for the research that "Pepa" tirelessly worked on for over thirty years during his life. However, he didn't cite anything, so I don't know where much of his findings came from. Though I have little doubt most of his research is accurate, there are bound to be some inaccuracies. I want every thing published on the website to meet what's called the Genealogical Proof Standard. The family tree that I posted to Ancestry.com and Rootsweb have also been taken down or set for private viewing only. As I re-do the research, I plan on gradually publishing information.

In the mean time, you'll still be able to read documents that I have found, glance over various photographs, or of course - read this blog! I promise to be more diligent with updating my genealogical adventures and findings here!

No comments:

Post a Comment